How to apply to vote by special ballot
This section is for electors residing in Canada and who will be in their riding when they submit their application to vote by special ballot.
Since you will be in your riding when you submit your application to vote by special ballot, you must apply to your local Elections Canada office. Click here for the contact info for your local Elections Canada office.
How to apply at your local Elections Canada office:
Complete and print this form.
Application for registration and special ballot
Local elector (pdf format)
Can't print the form? Call or visit your local Elections Canada office to request a form.
- Sign your completed form.
- Submit your completed, signed form to your local Elections Canada office, along with your proof of identity and address.
If you apply in person
If you apply by mail, courier or fax
Include copies of proof of identity and address using an option listed below.
Provide one piece of government-issued ID
It must have your photo, name and current address.
- driver's license or
- provincial or territorial ID card
Provide two pieces of ID
Show one document with your name and one with your name and address.
- health card and phone bill or
- debit card and bank statement
Provide an affidavit
Provide an affidavit, signed before a person authorized to receive oaths in the province or territory, showing your name and home address.
(This option does not apply to electors applying in person).
Deadlines and reminders
- Your local Elections Canada office must receive your completed application by the deadline: 6:00 p.m. local time on October 15, 2019.
- If your application is approved, you will receive a special ballot voting kit.
- Return your marked ballot to your local Elections Canada office by the deadline: October 21, 2019, before the polls close in your riding.
- You can vote only once per election. Once you apply to vote by mail, this is the only way you can vote. You cannot vote at a polling place.