open Secondary menu

Voter Registration

Are you registered to vote?

Quebec Provincial Election and Ontario's Municipal and School Board Elections
[Read more]

Quebec Provincial Election:

The provincial election in Quebec is on October 3, 2022. Please visit the Elections Québec website for more information on how to register and vote in the provincial election.

Municipal and School Board Elections:

Ontario's municipal and school board elections take place on Monday, October 24, 2022. If you are a resident, owner or tenant of property in Ontario, a Canadian citizen and 18 years of age or over, you can vote in Ontario's municipal and school board elections. Please visit to confirm that your information is current and accurately reflected. For general enquiries, please call 1-866-296-MPAC (6722) / TTY 1-877-889-MPAC (6722).

Check your voter registration >

If you can't use the Online Voter Registration Service, view the "Other ways to register or update your information" section below.

To register and vote in a federal election, you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • have Canadian citizenship

Why register in advance?

To vote in a federal election, you must be registered on the list of electors.

You can register at the polls when you go to vote, but if you register in advance at the right address, you will receive a voter information card in the mail when a federal election is called. The voter information card tells you when, where and the ways to vote.

An up-to-date registration will also make the voting process faster.

Other ways to register or update your information

  1. On your Canada Revenue Agency tax return every year. Checking "Yes" to the questions in the Elections Canada section is an easy way to keep your voter registration up to date.
  2. By mail. Contact us and we'll send you a voter registration form by mail, email or fax.
  3. At your local Elections Canada office or assigned polling place when you go to vote. This option is available only when a general election or by-election is underway in your riding.

For Canadians living abroad

Canadians living abroad who are eligible to vote can register on the International Register of Electors.

Register of Future Electors

Canadian citizens aged 14 to 17 can register in the Register of Future Electors. Upon turning 18, eligible individuals will be added to the National Register of Electors to update the lists of electors for federal elections and referendums.

To register:

  • Contact us. We'll send you a registration form by mail, email or fax.
  • Check "Yes" to the questions in the Elections Canada section of your Canada Revenue Agency income tax return.

More information on voter registration