Report on the 2020 By-elections
March 31, 2021
The Honourable Anthony Rota, P.C., M.P.
Speaker of the House of Commons
House of Commons
Dear Mr. Speaker:
I am pleased to provide my report on the by-elections held on October 26, 2020, in the federal electoral districts of Toronto Centre (Ontario) and York Centre (Ontario).
I have prepared the report in accordance with subsection 534(2) of the Canada Elections Act, S.C. 2000, c. 9. Under section 536 of the Act, the Speaker shall submit this report to the House of Commons without delay.
The report includes a summary of the official voting results and other information on the by-elections.
For more information, please see the Elections Canada website at elections.ca.
Chief Electoral Officer
Table of Contents
- 1. Launching the By-elections
- COVID-19 pandemic affecting the by-elections
- Issue of the writs
- Opening Elections Canada offices; hiring and training election workers
- Working with political entities
- Pandemic-related adaptive measures
- 2. Information Campaign for Electors
- 3. Voter Registration Services
- 4. Voting Services
- 5. Maintaining Security and Integrity
- 6. Concluding the By-elections