Report on the 2022 By-election
March 31, 2023
The Honourable Anthony Rota, M.P.
Speaker of the House of Commons
House of Commons
Dear Mr. Speaker:
I am pleased to provide my report on the by-election held on December 12, 2022, in the federal electoral district of Mississauga–Lakeshore (Ontario).
I have prepared the report in accordance with subsection 534(2) of the Canada Elections Act, S.C. 2000, c. 9. Under section 536 of the Act, the Speaker shall submit this report to the House of Commons without delay. The report is referred to the Standing Committee on Procedure and House Affairs.
The report includes a summary of the official voting results and other information on the by-election.
For more information, please see the Elections Canada website at elections.ca.
Chief Electoral Officer
Table of Contents
- 1. Launching the By-election
- 2. Information Campaign for Electors
- 3. Voter Registration Services
- 4. Voting Services
- 5. Maintaining Security and Integrity
- 6. Concluding the By-election
- Registered political parties during the 2022 by-election
- Table 1 – Type and number of positions filled
- Table 2 – Confirmed candidates
- Table 3 – Valid votes obtained, by candidate
- Table 4 – Adaptations made pursuant to subsection 17(1) of the Canada Elections Act
- Table 5 – Instructions Issued Pursuant to Subsection 178(2) of the Canada Elections Act and Section 179 of the Special Voting Rules as Adapted for the Purposes of a By-election