Survey of Electors Following the April 3, 2017, By-elections in Calgary Heritage (Alberta), Calgary Midnapore (Alberta), Markham–Thornhill, (Ontario), Ottawa–Vanier (Ontario) and Saint-Laurent (Quebec)
Perceptions of Elections Canada's Fairness
Most electors aware of the April 3, 2017, by-election felt Elections Canada ran the election very (63%) or somewhat (21%) fairly.
- Voters in the ridings of Saint-Laurent (49%) and Markham–Thornhill (57%) were less likely than voters from the other ridings to say the election was run very fairly.
- In addition, the likelihood of saying Elections Canada ran the election very fairly increased with age (from 39% of those under 25 to 71% of those age 55 and older) and was higher among men (67%), English-speakers (67% vs. 57% of Allophones and 51% of French-speakers) and those who voted in the 2015 federal general election (65% vs. 41% of those who did not vote).
Q35. Thinking about the April 3, 2017, federal by-election, would you say that Elections Canada ran the election...?
Base: n=1,876; those aware of the by-election.
Trust in Accuracy of Results
Most electors aware of the by-election said they trust the accuracy of the election results in their riding. Fully 64% said they have a very high level of trust and 27% said their level of trust is somewhat high.
- Trust was lower in the ridings of Saint-Laurent and Markham–Thornhill—voters in these ridings were less likely to say they have very high trust (56% and 57%, respectively).
- The likelihood of saying they have very high trust increased with age, from 43% of electors under 25 to 71% of electors age 55 and older, and with education, from 49% of those with a high school education to 73% of university graduates.
- Allophones (53%) were less likely than English-speakers (66%) to have very high trust in the accuracy of the results.
- Those who voted in the 2015 federal general election were more likely than those who did not vote to have very high trust (66% vs. 42%).
Q36. What level of trust do you have in the accuracy of the election results in your riding? Is itů?
Base: n=1,876; those aware of the by-election. Dk/nr: 3%