open Secondary menu

Candidate List of Authorized ID

PDF format to print
(EC 20014)

You have two options when showing ID.

Option 1

Show one of these pieces of ID

  • any card issued by a Canadian government or agency (federal, provincial/territorial or local) with your photo and name, such as your driver's license or Canadian passport

Option 2

Show two pieces of ID.

Both must show your name.


  • birth certificate and bank statement
  • utility bill and student ID card

Don't have these? No problem!

See the list of authorized ID for Option 2 below.

From a government or government agency

  • band membership card
  • birth certificate
  • Canadian citizenship card or certificate
  • Canadian Forces identity card
  • card issued by an Inuit local authority
  • firearms license
  • government cheque or cheque stub
  • government statement of benefits
  • health card
  • income tax assessment
  • Indian status card or temporary confirmation of registration
  • library card
  • licence or card issued for fishing, trapping, or hunting
  • liquor identity card
  • Métis card
  • old age security card
  • parolee card
  • property tax assessment or evaluation
  • public transportation card
  • social insurance number card
  • vehicle ownership
  • Veterans Affairs health care identification card
  • voter information card

From an educational institution

  • correspondence issued by a school, college, or university
  • student identity card

From a private organization

  • employee card
  • residential lease or sub-lease
  • utility bill (e.g.: electricity, water, telecommunications services, including telephone, cable, or satellite)

From a health care facility or organization

  • blood donor card
  • CNIB card
  • hospital card
  • label on a prescription container
  • identity bracelet issued by a hospital or long-term care institution
  • medical clinic card

From a financial institution

  • bank statement
  • credit card
  • credit card statement
  • credit union statement
  • debit card
  • insurance certificate, policy, or statement
  • mortgage contract or statement
  • pension plan statement
  • personal cheque

Additional pieces of ID may be added. We accept e-statements and e-invoices. You may print them or show them on a mobile device.

Want a different name on the ballot?

You can use an alternative name.

If you wish to use an alternative name or nickname on the ballot, you must provide evidence that you are commonly known by that name (even if it is a common abbreviation of your name).

At a minimum, you must provide:

  • documents from at least two sources from the list of authorized ID below;
  • documents that pre-date the call of the election; and
  • one document that originates from a third party (not from you, the candidate).

Further, the alternative name must not be easily confused with the name of a political party.


  • published documents, such as newspaper articles
  • correspondence from a private organization

Proof of alternative name

  • published documents in any format, including books, magazines, and newspaper articles, or commentaries
  • documents from private organizations, including employee or membership cards, contracts, invoices, or residential leases or sub-leases
  • official correspondence addressed to you, the candidate, including emails and letters
  • screen captures of social media account pages
  • any piece of ID under option 1 or 2 of the authorized ID list that refers to the name by which you are commonly known