News Releases and Media Advisories
Results Available Once Counting of Ballots is Completed
Gatineau, Friday, October 16, 2015
- Preliminary results from the 42nd general election will be published on elections.ca as soon as they become available.
- The unofficial voter turnout results will also be displayed in real time throughout the night.
- As per the changes recently introduced to the Canada Elections Act, preliminary results may now be broadcast as soon as they are reported by returning officers.
- When a polling station closes, the deputy returning officer counts the votes and transmits the results to the returning officer, who immediately relays them electronically to Elections Canada headquarters.
- In this election, Elections Canada will post the results on elections.ca shortly after they are received, and share them electronically with a consortium of Canadian broadcasters and wire services for distribution to news outlets.
- A map of the preliminary results by electoral district will be published online on October 20.
- In most electoral districts, the validation of the preliminary results will occur on October 20 or 21.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Elections Canada Media Relations
For election updates, subscribe to our news service at elections.ca.