News Releases and Media Advisories
By-elections will take place in
and South Surrey–White Rock
Gatineau Wednesday, October 4, 2017
- On Tuesday, October 3, 2017, the Acting Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, Stéphane Perrault, received official notice from the Speaker of the House of Commons that the seats for Battlefords–Lloydminster (Saskatchewan), Bonavista–Burin–Trinity (Newfoundland and Labrador) and South Surrey–White Rock (British Columbia) are vacant. By-elections will take place to fill the vacant seats.
- The respective dates of the by-elections must be announced between October 14, 2017, and April 1, 2018. These announcements signal the start of the by-election periods.
- The by-election periods must last at least 36 days, and the by-elections must be held on a Monday. Therefore, the earliest date that any of these by-elections can be held is Monday November 20, 2017.
- The Canada Elections Act does not prescribe a maximum length of time for a by-election period.
- See a list of all vacant seats in the House of Commons since the 2015 general election.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Elections Canada Media Relations