News Releases and Media Advisories
Registered Political Parties' First Quarter
Financial Returns for 2018 Now Online
Gatineau, Tuesday, May 1, 2018 — The Acting Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, Stéphane Perrault, announced today that the registered parties' first quarter financial returns for 2018 are now available on Elections Canada's website.
A registered political party must submit a quarterly financial return if its candidates for the most recent general election received:
- at least 2 percent of the total valid votes cast in all electoral districts across Canada; or
- at least 5 percent of the valid votes cast in the electoral districts in which it endorsed a candidate.
Parties' quarterly financial returns include statements of:
- contributions from donors;
- contributions directed to leadership contestants;
- contributions returned to contributors or remitted to the Chief Electoral Officer; and
- transfers received from other political entities.
Registered parties' first quarter financial returns for 2018 cover the period from January 1, 2018, to March 31, 2018.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Elections Canada Media Relations
Subscribe to our news service at elections.ca.