News Releases and Media Advisories
Registered political parties' fourth quarter
financial returns for 2017 now online
Gatineau, Wednesday, January 31, 2018 – The Acting Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, Stéphane Perrault, announced today that registered parties' fourth quarter financial returns for 2017 are now available on Elections Canada's website.
A registered political party must submit a quarterly financial return if its candidates for the most recent general election received:
- at least 2 percent of the total valid votes cast in all electoral districts across Canada; or
- at least 5 percent of the valid votes cast in the electoral districts in which it endorsed a candidate.
Parties' quarterly financial returns include statements of:
- contributions from donors;
- contributions directed to leadership contestants;
- contributions returned to contributors or remitted to the Chief Electoral Officer; and
- transfers received from other political entities.
Registered parties' fourth quarter financial returns for 2017 cover the period from October 1, 2017, to December 31, 2017.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Elections Canada Media Relations