News Releases and Media Advisories
Election Results Will Be Available Quickly
Preliminary Results From the 41st General Election Will Be Available
When the Last Polls Close
OTTAWA, Friday, April 29, 2011
- Preliminary election results will be available at www.elections.ca from 10:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) on May 2. Unofficial voter turnout results will be displayed in real time throughout the night.
- Across the country, as soon as a poll closes, the deputy returning officer counts the votes and transmits results to the returning officer for that electoral district, who immediately relays them electronically to Elections Canada in Ottawa.
- Preliminary results are posted on the Elections Canada Web site when the last polls close, and sent electronically to the Media Consortium for distribution to news outlets.
- On election day, there is a ban on disseminating election results until the last polls close in all electoral districts.
- A map of the preliminary results by electoral district will be available on-line on May 3.
- In most ridings, the validation of the preliminary results occurs on May 3 or May 4.
Vote. Shape your world.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Elections Canada Media Relations
or at www.elections.ca