Proposed Approach to the Assessment of Program Authority
May 4, 2020
Text version of graphic
Stacked Venn diagram with four sections labelled:
- D: Program authorities that cannot be obtained or implemented
- C: Potential recommendations to Parliament for legislative amendments
- B: Section 17 adaptation power
- A: Current operational framework, including existing discretion or flexibility
- Elections Canada’s programs must be administered in accordance with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Canada Elections Act, and other relevant federal legislation, regulations and policies.
- While identifying risks associated with the delivery of an election in pandemic circumstances and developing mitigation solutions, assessments will need to be conducted in order to determine whether those solutions are grounded on sufficient program authority.
- Discussions about these program authorities need to occur on a regular basis in order for the development of mitigation strategies to remain efficient.