Secondary menu

Voting by Mail While Inside or Outside Canada

Register to Vote by Special Ballot (Vote by Mail)

Eligible Canadian electors may apply to vote by special ballot. With a special ballot, you can vote by mail from anywhere in the world, or vote in person at your local Elections Canada office.

By-elections will be held on November 17, 2014 in the electoral districts of:

  • Whitby—Oshawa (Ontario)
  • Yellowhead (Alberta)

If you are eligible to vote in one of these by-elections and would like to vote by special ballot, apply as early as possible. Allow time for your application to reach us, for a special ballot voting kit to be sent to you, and for your marked ballot to return to Elections Canada.

Your application must reach Elections Canada by 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday November 11, 2014.

Your marked special ballot must reach Elections Canada by the deadline on Monday November 17, 2014, or it will not be counted.

New ─ As a result of a recent court decision on the ”five-year rule” in the Canada Elections Act, we have updated the application form for Canadians residing abroad. Now, any Canadian citizen aged 18 or older who resides abroad may apply to be added to the International Register of Electors and to vote by mail-in special ballot in federal general elections, by-elections and referendums, provided they have at some point resided in Canada.

To apply, start by answering a few questions. We will provide an application form tailored to your situation. Complete the form and submit it to us with copies of your supporting documents.

Get a special ballot application form >

The application form is best viewed with the latest version of Adobe Reader.

For background information, see: