Secondary menu

Voter Identification at the Polls

Information on ways to prove your identity and address in the next general election will be posted on December 19, 2014.

Also available in: 27†heritage languages and 11†Aboriginal languages

To vote, you must prove your identity and address. You have three options:



Note: The pieces of identification required under the Canada Elections Act are not the same as those for provincial or municipal elections.

Option 1

Show one original piece of identification with your photo, name and address. It must be issued by a government agency.


  • Driver's Licence
  • Health Card (with photo and address)
  • Provincial/Territorial Identification Card

Top of page

Option 2

Show two original pieces of authorized identification. Both pieces must have your name and one must also have your address.

Identity Cards

  • Driver's Licence
  • Health Card
  • Canadian Passport
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (Citizenship Card)
  • Birth Certificate
  • Certificate of Indian Status (Status Card)
  • Social Insurance Number Card
  • Old Age Security Card
  • Student ID Card
  • Provincial/Territorial Identification Card
  • Liquor Identification Card
  • Hospital/Medical Clinic Card
  • Credit/Debit Card
  • Employee Card
  • Public Transportation Card
  • Library Card
  • Canadian Forces Identity Card
  • Veterans Affairs Canada Health Card
  • Canadian Blood Services/Héma-Québec Card
  • CNIB ID Card
  • Firearm Possession and Acquisition Licence or Possession Only Licence
  • Fishing, Trapping or Hunting Licence
  • Outdoors or Wildlife Card/Licence
  • Hospital bracelet worn by residents of long-term care facilities
  • Parolee Identification Card

Original documents
(with name and address)

  • Utility Bill (telephone, TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas or water)
  • Bank/Credit Card Statement
  • Vehicle Ownership/Insurance
  • Correspondence issued by a school, college or university
  • Statement of Government Benefits (employment insurance, old age security, social assistance, disability support or child tax benefit)
  • Attestation of Residence issued by the responsible authority of a First Nations band or reserve
  • Government Cheque or Cheque Stub
  • Pension Plan Statement of Benefits, Contributions or Participation
  • Residential Lease/Mortgage Statement
  • Income/Property Tax Assessment Notice
  • Insurance Policy
  • Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
  • One of the following, issued by the responsible authority of a shelter, soup kitchen, student/senior residence, or long-term care facility: Attestation of Residence, Letter of Stay, Admission Form or Statement of Benefits


  1. For electors residing in seniors' residences and long-term care facilities, a photocopy of an item on the list is acceptable. This exception is made to address the fact that when residents are admitted, they routinely transfer their original ID to the administrator or to members of their family.
  2. A document with an address may be used as proof of the elector's residential address only if it was written by the issuer of the document. For example, a passport cannot be used as proof of address because the address is filled in by the passport holder. A passport can still be used to prove your name.
  3. No document other than those included on this list may be accepted to establish the name and address of an elector.
  4. The voter information card will be accepted as one of two authorized pieces of identification at polling stations located in long-term care facilities, in seniors' residences, on Indian reserves and in students' residences located on campus. The voter information card can be used as proof of address on election day only, not at the advance polls

Top of page

Option 3

Take an oath and have an elector who knows you vouch for you (both of you will be required to make a sworn statement). This person must have authorized identification and their name must appear on the list of electors in the same polling division as you. This person can only vouch for one person and the person who is vouched for cannot vouch for another elector.

Examples: a neighbour, your roommate.

For more information on identification and vouching rules, contact Elections Canada at 1-800-463-6868.

Top of page