News Releases and Media Advisories
Deadline Approaches to Vote by Mail or at an Elections Canada Office
Gatineau, Friday, October 14, 2016
- A federal by-election is underway in Medicine Hat—Cardston—Warner (Alberta).
- Eligible electors who will be away from the electoral district during advance polls or on election day, or who find it more convenient, can vote by mail or vote in person at an Elections Canada office. Deadlines apply.
Voting at an Elections Canada office:
- Electors may drop in and vote at the Elections Canada office in Medicine Hat or Cardston - see elections.ca for office addresses and hours. Offices are open seven days a week.
- The deadline to apply to vote at an Elections Canada office is 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 18.
Voting by mail:
- Electors who want to vote by mail should apply as soon as possible.
- Electors can apply online to vote by mail. Alternatively, they can mail in a paper application form. Forms are available at any Canadian mission abroad, at Elections Canada offices in Medicine Hat and in Cardston, or by calling 1-800-463-6868.
- Applications submitted online or to Elections Canada in Ottawa must be received by 6:00 p.m. Eastern time on Tuesday, October 18. Applications submitted to Elections Canada offices in Medicine Hat and in Cardston are due by 6:00 p.m. local time on Tuesday, October 18.
- Once Elections Canada accepts an elector's application, we mail the elector a special ballot voting kit.
- Electors must allow time for their voting kit to reach them and for their marked ballot to reach Elections Canada by the election day deadline.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Elections Canada Media Relations
or at www.elections.ca